Indian Coconut Recipes
Coconut is used as a fruit as well as an ingredient in many Indian recipes. Find some Indian coconut or nariyal recipes here.
Coconut is widely known as “Naariyal” in India. It is used as main ingredient in most of the dishes of south India. Not only the fruit part, south Indians used to cook their food in coconut oil as well. However in other parts of India it is just used as fruit to eat. Coconut is used to prepare sweet dishes as well in several parts of India. Dried coconut is also used in various dishes to add flavour to them. Either it is upma, nariyal chatni or nariyal ke ladoo some of the Indian food are tasteless without coconuts.
Chocolate Coconut Cake
Mix Vegetables In Coconut Milk
Paneer Coconut Gravy
Coconut Chicken Curry
Coconut Custard Halwa
Lauki Coconut Raita
Macchi Ka Salan
Masaledar Nariyal Lauki
South Indian Chutney
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Tomato Coconut Soup
Vangi Ani val
Vegetable Nilgiri Korma
250 gms Parippu (Green gram dal)
Coconut milk from 2 coconuts
250 gms Jaggery
2 tblsp Ghee
handful Cashew nuts, Raisins
How to make parippu payasam:
- Clean the dal and saute it in ghee till light brown.
- Boil the fried dal in water till it is cooked.
- Make a thick solution by heating jaggery with some water .
- Take milk from the coconut thrice. Keep the thick milk taken 1st, aside.
- Add the third milk and the second milk with the jaggery solution to the boiled dal .and simmer on a low flame till thick.
- Finally add the first milk and simmer it for a while.
- Season it with fried nut, raisins.
- Stir well and remove from fire immediately
COCONUT BARFI RECIPE (Nariyal Ki Burfi)
225 gms Khoya
225 gms coconut (dry and ground)
1 tsp cardamom seeds (ground)
1 tbsp ghee
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/2 tsp almonds (grated)
1/2 tsp pistachios (grated)
How to make coconut burfi:
- Mix khoya and coconut and fry them lightly with ghee on a low heat.
- Add cardamom and mix well.
- Prepare one-string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water.
- Now stir the coconut mixture into the syrup.
- Grease the plate and spread the grated nuts on it.
- Spread the prepared evenly over the plate and allow it to cool.
- Now with the knife, cut it into desired shapes.
- Turn them over so that nuts covered part appears on the top.
- Nariyal ki burfi is ready to be served.
1/2 tin condensed milk
1/2 cup coconut powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh cream
1/2 tin cherry
1 tsp vanilla essence
How to make coconut pudding:
- Grind sugar.
- Beat cream so as to thicken it.
- Mix condensed milk, coconut powder, sugar and vanilla essence. Pour it in a dish.
- Spread cream on the top.
- Garnish with cherry.
- Refrigerate it for setting and serve chilled.
Makes : 2 Sanwiches
Cooking time : 10-15 mins
4 slices of bread
4 tsp butter
1/2 cup green chutney
2 boiled potatoes (pilled and sliced thick)
1/2 cucumbers (thinly sliced)
2 tomatoes (thinly sliced)
1 onion (sliced very thinly)
1 tsp chat masala
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp zero size sev
For Green Chutney
3 green chillies
Few Sprigs of mint leaves
1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp Lemon Juice
How to make bombay sandwich with green chutney:
- For the green chutney- grind together green chillies, mint leaves, coriander leaves, salt and lemon juice to a smooth paste.
- Trim off the edges of each slice of bread, apply 1 tsp of butter and 1/2 tsp of green chutney on each and keep aside.
- Place the slice of bread, with the buttered slide facing up , on a clean flat surface.
- Arrange few cucumber pieces over it and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of chat masala over it.
- Arrange two slice of onion, 2 slice of potato and 2 slices of tomatoes over it. Sprinkle salt and red chili powder over it and again evenly sprinkle chat masala over it.
- Place the other slice of bread with the buttered side facing downward.
- Cut into four equal parts and on top sprinkle 0 size sev over it.
- Or If you want you can even toast or grill them in a griller with butter smeared on both sides and then sprinkle some 0 size sev on it.
- Serve immediately with ketchup and green chutney.
Cooking time : 45 mins
2 boiled potatoes
1 green chili (finely chopped)
1 inch ginger piece (chopped)
2 tblsp boiled peas (optional)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp dry mange powder
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp oil
4-5 curry leaves (optional)
Salt to taste
4 slices of bread (remove the brown edges)
Oil for deep frying
How to make bread cutlet Indian style
- Remove the skin of the potato and mash it properly.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a kadai/wok, add mustard seed and curry leaves. When mustard seeds start to splatter add mashed potatoes along with green chili, ginger, boiled peas, red chili powder, garam masla powder, dry mango powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients well and let it cook for 2-3 minute.
- When the mixture gets slightly cold start making small round balls it and keep them aside.
- Now take water in the wide bowl and dip a single bread slice into it just enough, that the bread gets wet and then immediately take them out and with a hand press, drain out the excess water from the bread slice.
- While still holding the pressed bread slice, place a potato ball in the center of the slice and let it cover the ball evenly. Then with a light hand press the ball flat and smooth out the edges.
- Prepare the balls of the remianing bread slices and keep aside
- Now heat oil for frying in a heavy bottomed pan, when the oil is smoky hot slow down the heat and fry two bread cutlet at a time. Then on medium flame fry them till golden in color from all sides.
- Take them out on the kitchen paper and sprinkle chat masala over it.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
- Note: 1. Remember to squeeze out all the water from the bread otherwise it will create splatter in the oil.
2. Also ensure that bread ball is closed from all sides. Otherwise the cutlet might break in the oil.
3. You can add some veggies like finely chopped carrot, beans, sweet corn and onion in the potato mixture.
4. You can give any shape to them – oval, ball or heart shaped. You can shallow fry them in a flat tikki form.
Cooking time :
Ingredients for ragda :
1 cup dried white peas
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 tsp green chili paste
1/2 tsp ginger – garlic paste
1/2 tsp mustard seed
4-5 curry leaves
Pinch of asafetida
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp black salt
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Ingredients for pattice :
5 medium potatoes (boiled)
2 green chili (cursed fine)
1 tsp ginger (grated)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp corn flour
2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil(shallow fry patties)
Ingredients to garnish :
1 cup sev
1 tsp chaat masala
2 onions (finely chopped)
1/2 cup green coriander chutney
1/2 cup tamarind chutney
How to make ragada pattice:
- Method for making ragda:
- Wash and soak dried peas in water for 8-10 hours or leave it over night.
- Drain soaked peas and transfer them to pressure cooker, add four cups of water, salt and a pinch of soda. Pressure cook it for 5 whistles, until the peas turn soft. Don’t drain the water as it can be used later.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seed, curry leaves and asafetida. When mustard seed starts to splatter add onion, chili and ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 3-4 minute, till the onions are translucent.
- Add cooked white peas along with water that is been left from cooker. Add red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black salt, pepper powder, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Mash some peas with a back of spoon to make thicker ragda. Add 1 cup of water in it. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cook over medium flame for 10 minute until gravy turns thick.
- Method for making pattice :
- Peel and mash boiled potatoes. Add green chili, salt, grated ginger, corn flour, salt, bread crumbs, and turmeric. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Divide mashed potato mixture into 12 equal portions and give them a shape of round ball. Press them little using palms to make ½ inch thick flat round shape patties.
- Shallow fry pattice on a non – stick griddle over medium flame using small amount of oil.
- Fry until potato pattice are crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Place two patties on a plate, top with a spoon full of ragada over it. Then garnish it with tamarind chutney, finely chopped onion, coriander leaves and sev. Sprinkle chat masala over it.
- Serve hot.
1 carton puffed rice
1 packet bhel mix or sev
2 cups mashed boiled potatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsps freshly roasted and ground cumin
1 or 2 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsps tamarind
1/2 cup jaggery or brown sugar
1 cup chopped onions.
First boil the potatoes. Peel, Mash and salt them, add pepper to taste. Add the cilantro leaves. Roast the cumin and grind it. Dissolve the tamarind concentrate in 1 cup of hot water, and let it simmer to thicken gradually. Dissolve the jaggery (or sugar) until the sauce becomes tart and slightly sweet.
You may add some salt and ground red paprika, if you want to. The sauce should be of a consistency slightlythinner than maple syrup. Pour into a serving container (like a creamer).Mix the puffed rice and sev/bhel mix in a large bowl.
On your plate, serve the rice-bhel mixture, add the potatoes, then the onions, chillies, dust thecumin powder over it. Then pour the sauce and top off with the coriander garnish. Add salt/ pepper to taste.
- See more at: http://www.top-indian-recipes.com/bhel-puri-recipe.htm#sthash.SbreCmmO.dpuf
1/4 tsp salt
15gm yeast mix with 4-5tbsp hot water
1 tbsp sugar
150ml evaporated milk
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 pkt grated cheese
2 large onions (cut into rings)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper powder
2 tbsp butter (melted)
- Mix yeast in hot water and leave it to be frosty.
- In a bowl put in the flour, salt, sugar and mix with milk and yeast.
- Add butter. Knead until dough become soft and pliable. Leave the dough to rise double in size.
- For the filling Mix chicken in the beaten egg along with salt and pepper powder.Leave aside.
- Punch into the dough with your hands and knead again and make into equal balls shape (as big as you want) and flatten the dough with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle with flour if the dough is sticky.
- Put the mini round dough in a greased flat baking pan.
- Brush the mini pizza with tomato sauce.
- Add in a bit of chicken pieces in the centre, top with onion rings and grated cheese.
- Sprinkle a bit of melted margerine to get a crunchy taste.
- Do the same to all the other pizza.
- Pre heat oven for 180C and bake for 15-20 minutes. You can serve with chilli sauce.
||Crisp puris (meant for pani puri)
||Black salt (kala namak)
||Roasted cumin powder
||Red chilli powder
|Bengal gram (chana) , black
Take boiled chana in a bowl. Add boiled potatoes and mash them together with your hand. Take the tamarind pulp in a deep bowl. Add salt, black salt, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and mix well. Add four cups of water and mix. Add ice cubes and mix properly. Make a little hole in the puris, put the potato-chana mixture in it, dip in the stirred prepared water and serve immediately.
- See more at: http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/PUCHKA.aspx#sthash.HXVQniIm.dpuf